Laundry detergent is an essential household product that we use almost every day. However, most commercial laundry detergents are filled with harsh chemicals that can harm our environment and health. So, why not make your detergent right at home?
This post has a simple and effective DIY recipe for creating eco-friendly laundry detergent using only four ingredients and your favorite essential oil. Not only will making your detergent help reduce waste, but it’s also wallet-friendly and leaves your clothes smelling clean and fresh.
Eco-friendly Laundry Detergent Recipe Ingredients
The key ingredients for this Eco-friendly Laundry Detergent Recipe are Borax, baking soda, Epsom salt, salt, and the optional essential oil. Moreover, the combination of these four ingredients will leave your clothes clean and soft without the use of harsh chemicals.
First, let’s start with Borax. Borax is a natural mineral that cleans and deodorizes clothes naturally. Besides, it is also a great stain remover and can boost the cleaning power of your laundry detergent.
Next is baking soda. Baking soda is known for its cleaning and deodorizing properties. As well as helping to remove dirt and stubborn stains, neutralize odors, and make your clothes softer.
Epsom salt is another key ingredient in this recipe. It is a natural fabric softener that helps remove tough stains and odors. Epsom salt is also great for adding freshness to your laundry.
Lastly, we have salt and essential oils. Salt helps prevent fading, while essential oils add fragrance and have antimicrobial properties that enhance the cleaning process.
Essential oils that work well for laundry
The laundry room has a lot of great essential oil options, each packed with unique benefits to explore. Some popular choices include:
- Tea Tree Oil
The ultimate essential oil blends to elevate your laundry routine.
Certainly, achieving fresh and safe laundry is possible by choosing natural essential oil blends over synthetic fragrances and harsh chemicals. Not only is this an effective way to maintain the quality of your clothes, but it’s also a healthier choice for you and the environment.
- To enjoy a delightful and invigorating scent, combine equal parts of lavender, lemon, and rosemary. This combination will leave your clothes feeling fresh and subtly floral.
- Consider the calming blend of lavender and chamomile in your bed linens to create a serene ambiance that can help you drift off into a peaceful slumber.
- Create a refreshing and invigorating scent for your clothes by blending grapefruit, lemon, and bergamot. It’s like a rejuvenating citrus concoction for your wardrobe!
- Blend pine, frankincense, and cedarwood essential oils for a grounding, earthy scent reminiscent of a tranquil walk in the woods.
- Create a luxurious and romantic floral fragrance by blending geranium, jasmine, and ylang-ylang. This combination is perfect for those who love floral scents.
Helpful laundry tidbits
These tried-and-tested tricks will aid you in streamlining your laundry routine, resulting in savings of both time and money, as well as increased organization. With a more efficient laundry process, you can improve your well-being and enjoy the benefits of a less cumbersome chore.
- Achieve soft and fluffy laundry effortlessly by using white vinegar as a fabric softener. Simply pour it into the fabric softener compartment and experience the remarkable results.
- When washing delicates, protect them with mesh bags.
- To add a fluffy touch to your laundry, use wool dryer balls.
- Eliminate wrinkles effortlessly by using ice cubes. Toss three or four into the dryer with the wrinkled clothing and run it for about ten minutes.
- Eliminating unsightly stains from your clothes is a cakewalk, too – rub salt on them. Alternatively, you can try using baking soda and hydrogen peroxide for this purpose, but keep in mind that it might be more inconvenient and messy.
- To brighten whites without harsh chemicals, try a bleach alternative. Mix 1/2 cup of white vinegar, 1/2 cup of lemon juice, and one tablespoon of Borax into your laundry load and wash as usual. Enjoy brighter whites with a gentler approach.
In conclusion, creating eco-friendly laundry detergent with our DIY recipe is a great way to reduce waste and save money in the long run. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have a cleaning solution that does the job, leaving your clothes clean and feeling soft. Try this recipe and see the difference it can make in your laundry routine and, importantly, your health.
Eco-friendly Laundry Detergent Recipe
- Baking Soda
- Epsom Salt
- Essential Oils (Optional)
- One large jar
In a large bowl, combine one cup of Borax, baking soda, Epsom salt, and half a cup of salt. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Once combined, add ten drops of your favorite essential oil. Mix again and store the mixture in an airtight container.
One of the best features of this recipe is that it can be tailored to your preferences. For example, you can choose different essential oils to achieve the scent you want and adjust the number of ingredients based on your needs. If you prefer not to use the powder directly on your clothes, mix it with warm water and pour it into the detergent dispenser. Equally important, this recipe can be used in your High-Efficiency washing machines!
To use the detergent, add two tablespoons of the mixture to your washing machine. Add up to four tablespoons for extra dirty or large loads.
DIY Laundry Suggested Products List:
For more helpful clean without compromise recipes
DIY lavender-Infused All Purpose Cleaner
Do you have a favorite?
If you have a favorite homemade laundry recipe, or if you have tried this one, please share your experience with us in the comments below. We would love to hear from you!